Monday, August 26, 2013

BONUS LESSON - My Ten Favorite Watercolor Pigments

I have other paints on my palette, which I use, of course -- but these are my favorites:



1.  Quinacridone Gold  -- I love this color!  Beautifully transparent and brilliant -- glazes nicely.  You've gotta have this color if you paint sunflowers!

2.  Quinacridone Burnt Orange -- This has replaced Burnt Sienna on my palette.  A "magic" color -- mixes fine with all colors and glazes very well.

3.  Quinacridone Magenta -- Another "magic" color!  Mixes well with other colors.  I use it for mixing darks and for doing value paintings.  It can easily be pushed to blue violet by adding French Ultramarine.

4.  Cobalt Blue -- A good, all-purpose transparent blue -- except for darks.  But, it is great as a glaze, and used as a cool for skin color, and for a green when mixed with aureolin yellow.

5.  Aureolin Yellow -- Transparent cool yellow (I know, that sounds like an oxymoron) -- makes nice variety of greens when mixed with different blues.

6.  Quinacridone Rose -- Necessary for portraits, as well as flowers -- also glazes beautifully.  I am very fond of all the quinacridone colors.

7.  French Ultramarine Blue  -- A good, warm blue.  Mixes nicely with magenta and/or rose for violets, but can also be mixed with aureolin and/or quin gold for olive greens.

8.  Phthalo Blue -- A beautiful staining and transparent color.  Makes wonderful darks and pretty greens, but easy to overdo -- it can overwhelm a mixture.

9.  Raw Sienna -- Good for glazing, to set back something in space, or to cut the intensity of a color.

10. Cadmium Red -- Great for a pop of color, or when painting poppies or cherries!  Not good for mixing with anything, except other cadmium colors.



Try some of these colors, use them for awhile, and see if they don't also become your favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment